McDonald’s is known for its fast food, but it’s not just its burgers and fries that have captured our hearts. McDonald’s chocolate chip cookies are also a fan favorite, loved for their crispy exterior and chewy center. They are so popular that many people have tried to recreate the recipe at home. Fortunately, making McDonald’s chocolate chip cookies is not as difficult as you might think, and with the right ingredients and technique, you can enjoy these delicious cookies in the comfort of your own home.
List all the ingredients required to make McDonald’s cookies
To make McDonald’s chocolate chip cookies, you will need the following ingredients:
▲ 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
▲ 1 teaspoon baking soda
▲ 1 teaspoon salt
▲ 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
▲ 3/4 cup granulated sugar
▲ 3/4 cup brown sugar
▲ 2 large eggs
▲ 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
▲2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Before you start mixing the dough, you need to preheat your oven and prepare your baking sheet:
Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). This is the temperature at which you’ll bake the cookies.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. This will prevent the cookies from sticking to the sheet and make cleanup easier.
Once your oven is preheated and your baking sheet is prepared, you’re ready to move on to mixing the dough.
Mixing the Dough:
• Soften the butter by leaving it at room temperature for a few hours. Once it’s softened, place it in a large mixing bowl and cream it together with both sugars until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
• Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Then add the vanilla extract and mix well.
• In another mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt, and whisk them together until they are thoroughly blended.
• Gradually add this dry mixture to the wet mixture, stirring until the ingredients are just incorporated.
• It’s important not to overmix the dough, as this can result in tough cookies.
• Finally, gently fold in the chocolate chips, making sure that they are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
• Now that your dough is mixed, it’s time to start shaping it into cookies.
Baking the Cookies:
• Using a cookie scoop or spoon, scoop the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Make sure to leave some space between each cookie, as they will spread during baking.
• Once you’ve scooped out all the dough, place the baking sheet in the preheated oven.
• Bake the cookies at 375°F (190°C) for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and the centers are set. Be sure not to overbake the cookies, as this can make them hard and dry.
• Once the cookies are done, remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the cookies cool on the sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
• Repeat the process with any remaining dough until all the cookies are baked.
• Once your cookies are cooled, you can enjoy them as they are or with a glass of cold milk. Store any leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or freeze them for up to 3 months.
Cooling the Cookies:
• After removing the baking sheet from the oven, let the cookies cool on the sheet for 5 minutes. This will allow them to set and become easier to handle.
• Once 5 minutes have elapsed, carefully move the cookies to a wire rack, and allow them to cool fully. This will allow the cookies to cool evenly and prevent them from becoming soggy on the bottom.
• Once the cookies are cooled completely, you can enjoy them as they are or with a glass of cold milk.
• It’s important to allow the cookies to cool completely before storing them, as storing warm cookies can cause them to become soft and lose their texture.
Suggestions to get the perfect texture of McDonald’s cookies
Use room temperature butter:
Softening the butter at room temperature for a few hours before baking will help the butter to cream more easily with the sugar, resulting in a lighter and fluffier texture for the cookies.
Don’t overmix the dough:
Overmixing the dough can cause the cookies to become tough and dense. Mix the dough until just combined to ensure a tender and soft texture.
Use high-quality ingredients:
Using high-quality ingredients, such as real vanilla extract and good-quality chocolate chips, will result in a better flavor and texture for your cookies.
Chill the dough:
Chilling the dough for at least an hour before baking can help the cookies to hold their shape and prevent them from spreading too much while baking.
Add a sprinkle of sea salt:
Sprinkling a little sea salt on top of the cookies before baking can enhance the flavor and balance the sweetness of the cookies.
Experiment with different mix-ins:
Try adding different mix-ins to the dough, such as chopped nuts or dried fruit, to add extra flavor and texture to your cookies.
Different variations of McDonald’s cookies
To add a crunchy texture to your cookies, you can add chopped nuts, such as walnuts or pecans, to the dough. Mix them in along with the chocolate chips for a delicious and nutty flavor.
If you’re a fan of oatmeal raisin cookies, you can add raisins to the dough for a sweet and chewy twist on the classic recipe.
For a heartier texture and added nutrition, you can substitute a portion of the flour with oats. Rolled oats or quick oats can be used in place of up to half of the flour to give the cookies a chewier texture.
If you’re a chocolate lover, you can add cocoa powder to the dough and use both milk and dark chocolate chips for a rich and indulgent double chocolate chip cookie.
For a colorful and fun twist on the classic recipe, you can use M&M’s instead of chocolate chips. Mix them into the dough for a burst of color and flavor in every bite.
In conclusion, McDonald’s chocolate chip cookies are a beloved treat enjoyed by many. With this recipe, you can recreate the classic cookie at home and enjoy it anytime you like. By following the simple steps outlined in this article, you can achieve the perfect texture and flavor that make these cookies so popular. Whether you follow the recipe exactly or add your own with some of the suggested variations, these cookies are sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
Can I use margarine instead of butter in the recipe?
Yes, you can use margarine instead of butter. However, keep in mind that this may alter the texture and flavor of the cookies slightly.
How do I know when the cookies are done baking?
The cookies are done baking when the edges are golden brown and the centers are set. They may still look slightly underbaked, but they will continue to cook as they cool on the baking sheet.
Can I freeze the cookie dough?
It is possible to freeze the cookie dough for as long as three months. Simply scoop the dough onto a baking sheet and freeze until solid. Then transfer the frozen dough balls to a zip-top freezer bag and store them in the freezer until ready to bake.
How many cookies does this recipe make?
This recipe makes approximately 24 cookies, depending on the size of the dough scoops.
Can I use a hand mixer instead of a stand mixer?
Yes, you can use a hand mixer instead of a stand mixer to cream the butter and sugars. However, keep in mind that this may take a bit longer and require more effort on your part.